Friday, September 3, 2010

The curse of the new shoes

So I finally bit the bullet and picked up some new shoes on Wednesday night. I have been avoiding it forever because I just absolutely love the feel of my old shoes, but alas, it was time. You could see the foam wearing through on one of the soles, and I've had them since January. I log about 15-20k per week, so not huge numbers but definately enough.

So I was out shopping with my bestie on Wednesday night and I thought, eff it, I'm gonna stop putting this off and go buy some new shoes. I also needed to pick up a new pair for work, as its getting back into the rainy season and my runners tend to get very wet and muddy and I dont think the janitors at work would appreciate me tracking that all through the gym, not to mention, very unprofessional. We descended on Sport Chek, for their buy one get one 50% off sale, as I had already had a gait analysis done at The Running Room when I bought my first pair and the shoes did my very well, so do fix what aint broke right? So we walk over to the shoe section, and as any runner knows, you get shoes based on your fit and there is a fighting chance they will be the ugliest pair on the wall, not the stylish ones you were hoping for, but this years shoes were PURPLE! I was so excited! I LOVE Purple! Especially this lovely dark purple. OOOO I was excited! So to make a long story short, I bought my shoes and went on my merry way.

Thursday morning rolls around and its time for my run and I couldnt decide if I wanted to wear my new shoes or my old ones, well fashion rules, so I went with the new ones. UGH! Now I remember why I put off buying new shoes for a while. I was ok for the first 15 minutes of my run but I had to stop and walk for a minute about every 5 mins after that thanks to my feet being all tingly and numb. I dont think my shoes were laced too tight, I think its just a matter of having more cushioning around the foot that wasnt broken in yet. Though when I got to the end of my 3k run, my time was a full minute faster than my fastest 3k and 1.5 mins faster than last weeks, even if I did have those walk breaks. Meh, I guess such is life. No exercise classes planned for today but if this beautiful almost fall weather keeps up, I might head out for a long walk. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment